14 February, 2023 | Memorial of Saints Cyril, Monk, and Methodius, Bishop

 Gospel: Mark 8:14-21





Reflection:
 
Jesus sounds exasperated that not even his miracles of the multiplication of loaves have given his disciples a mentality of abundance. God demands abundant love. How then can there be a lack of bread? Michel Quoist writes. ‘Lord, why did you tell me to go to all people? I was so peaceful at home, I was so comfortably settled. The cry of others has awakened me and rashly enough, I left my door ajar. Lord, I have lost everything, I don’t belong to myself any longer. And Lord, you answered – ‘Don’t worry, be happy! You have gained all. While others came in to you, I, your God, slipped in among them.’”  We often live with a distressing mentality of deprivation – fearful that we will never have enough. The godly life spells plenty for all, if only we trust enough to distribute the planet’s riches equitably. 

Activity

Trust the Lord’s promise of his abiding presence, especially in times of fear. Is your life an expression of the golden rule of the Gospel ? 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

24 March, 2023 | Friday of the Fourth Week of Lent